The small market town of Newent is mentioned in Domesday book as Noent. Roger of Hereford established a priory there and markets and fairs have been held since the time of Henry III. The most famous currently existing is the annual Onion fair at which some massive exhibits have turned up. The GWR had a branch through the town from 1885 until Beeching closed it.
Today, the town is known for its vineyards, of which there are three. St Annes at Oxenhall is small, and has a wide range of country and grape wines. Three Choirs on the B4216 is one of the largest in the country. However the newest, Strawberry Hill is one of the most interesting, with vines grown both outdoors and in glasshouses. The latter are used for classical grapes- Chardonnay, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. Wines are made at Three Choirs which is just along the same road.Return to South Marches page