Frithsden Vineyard

Simon and Natalie Tooley
Frithsden Vineyard
Hemel Hempstead


  • Solaris
  • Seyval Blanc
  • Rondo
  • Frithsden is a small hamlet to the East of Berkhampstead In 1880, it was referred to as Frithesden, a row of houses containing the Alford Arms and the Baptist Chapel and a school. It has also been referred to as Frifden, Frefden, Freefden or Fresden. The name is Anglo-Saxon in origin, and means 'sparse woodland on a hill'.

    A vineyard was first planted between 1971 and 1979 by Peter and Anne Latchford, making it one of the second wave of English vineyards. It is 122metres high on a south-facing slope. The winery and house were built after lengthy discussions with the local authority, who were not keen on industry in an area of outstanding natural beauty. The Latchfords retired and grubbed up most of their vines in the mid 1990s, finally closing down in 2001.


    In 2005, Simon and Natalie Tooley discovered the site and bought it the following year. In April 2006, 5000 vines were planted and have grown exceptionally well in their first year.


    From Hemel Hempstead, take the A4146 northwards. At Water End, take the second left marked Nettleden. After a mile, take the left hand fork, and then, after a quarter of a mile, turn right into Frithsden. The vineyard is behind the Alford Arms.

    Return to Thames Valley and Chilterns Pages