Sole au Gratin
Plaice can be substituted for sole.
(Quantities are provided for one person, multiply as necessary remembering that wine and flavourings should not increase at the same rate unless the fish are being cooked in separate containers.)
- sole (1), small - medium, head removed, washed
- shallots (3), finely sliced
- mushrooms (3), sliced
- breadcrumbs, 5tbs., heaped
- dry white white (Madelein Angevine, Seyval etc.), 1½ glasses
- bay leaf
- parsley, handful - fresh and chopped
- mushroom catsup, 2tsp.
- butter or oil
- white pepper, ground
Serve with boiled new potatoes, roasted cherry tomatoes and green vegetables.
- A shallow metal casserole dish (with lid) sufficent for the fish to lie flat is required, plus a heatproof and deep serving dish.
- Fry shallots and mushrooms gently in the butter/oil in casserole dish until they begin to soften. Do not allow to brown.
- Add herbs, catsup, 3 tbs breadcrumbs and pepper to taste.
- Pour in 1 glass of wine. Bring to boiling point.
- Place fish on top of vegetables, cover and cook in a moderately hot oven (Mark5/190°C/375°F) for approximately 15 minutes. Fish should be almost cooked.
- Place fish in warm serving dish and keep warm.
- Add ½ glass of wine to vegetables, bring to boiling point.
- Pour vegetables and liquid over fish.
- Sprinkle 2tbs breadcrumbs over fish and dot with butter (or dribble with oil).
- Place under a hot grill for approximately 5 minutes until browned.