Pork with Prunes
To accompany: Red Wine
The following ingredients - tied together in a square of muslin.
- Shoulder Pork (2kg.); rind removed, fat removed as prefered, cut into large chunks.
- Onions (4), peeled and chopped.
- Garlic, (2 cloves), crushed.
- Prunes (250g.), dried.
- English or Welsh Red Wine ~ Canterbury Red Reserve or Cardi Coch (1 bottle).
- Chicken Stock (0.25l.).
- Olive Oil (2tbs.).
- Flour, Wholemeal (1 tbs., heaped).
- Cinnamon stick
- Sage leaves, fresh (5)
- Orange, rind
Serve with vegetables.
- Soak prunes in wine overnight (one glassful).
- Fry pork pieces in oil until browned (5-10 mins.), remove.
- Fry onions until browned, add pork.
- Add flour, stir until cooked (2 mins.), add chicken stock and remaining wine, stir well and heat until simmering.
- Add muslin square of spices.
- Cook in moderate oven for 1½ hours. Check liquid level regularly in last ½ hour.
- Add prunes and soaking liquor. Cook for further ½ hour and check that pork is cooked.
- Remove bag of spices before serving.