- Pork (1kg), leg or loin chop, chopped.
- Pork sausages (4), large.
- Onion (1), large, peeled and sliced.
- Carrot, (2), medium-sized, peeled and cut into chunks.
- Mushrooms, (2), large, cleaned and sliced.
- Wine, (2 glasses, large), Phoenix: Commonwood, Croft Castle, Wroxeter Vineyards or similar.
- Chicken Stock (0.25l.).
- Lemon, (½), grated rind.
- Thyme, (1tsp), fresh, chopped, (½tsp if dried).
- Bay leaf, 1.
- Mustard seed, yellow, ground - to taste.
- Olive Oil (1tbs).
Serve with roasted parsnip and potato slices, and green vegetables.
- Place chopped pork into a large basin, add lemon rind, herbs and wine. Stand in a cool place for approx. ½hr. If the pork is from a free range, older animal then the pork can be marinated for about an hour.
- Remove the pork pieces from the wine and pat dry. The meat must be dried before frying otherwise it will stew rather than fry.
- Fry pork pieces in oil until browned (5-10 mins.), remove.
- Fry onion until browned, add mushrooms, carrots, pork and ground mustard.
- Add chicken stock, wine (including herbs etc.) and stir well and heat until simmering.
- Cook in moderate oven for 1¾ hours. Check liquid level regularly in last ½ hour.
- Cook sausages, slice and mix into casserole ½hr before dish is cooked.