Pork with Apricots
To accompany: Seyval or Sauvignon Blanc
The following ingredients - tied together in a square of muslin.
- Shoulder Pork (2kg.); rind removed, fat removed as prefered, cut into large chunks.
- Shallots (15), peeled.
- Garlic, (1 clove), crushed.
- Apricots (250g.), dried.
- English or Welsh White Wine ~ Camel Valley Seyval or Worthenbury Sauvignon Blanc, dry (1 bottle).
- Chicken Stock (0.25l.).
- Olive Oil (2tbs.).
- Flour, Wholemeal (1 tbs., heaped).
- Mace Blades
- Mustard Seeds
- Bay Leaf
- Lemon, peeled rind
Serve with vegetables.
- Soak apricots in wine overnight (one glassful).
- Fry pork pieces in oil until browned (5-10 mins.), remove.
- Fry shallots until browned, add pork.
- Add flour, stir until cooked (2 mins.), add chicken stock and remaining wine, stir well and heat until simmering.
- Add muslin square of spices.
- Cook in moderate oven for 1¾ hours. Check liquid level regularly in last ½ hour.
- Add apricots and soaking liquor. Cook for further ¼ hour and check that pork is cooked.
- Remove bag of spices before serving.