- onion, 1, peeled and finely chopped;
- potatoes, 4 large, peeled and quartered;
- carrots, 2, peeled and finely chopped;
- plum tomatoes, 3, peeled and chopped;
- leeks, 2, sliced into thin rings;
- pork sausage meat, 1¾lb;
- bacon rashers, 2;
- dry white wine, 1 medium glass;
- chicken stock, ½ pint;
- tarragon, dried, ¼ tsp or fresh chopped, ½ tsp;
- black pepper, ground, ¼ tsp;
- yellow mustard, ground, ¼ tsp;
- cheese, strong cheddar 4oz, grated.
- Fry onion in olive oil until lightly browned.
- Add black pepper and fry gently for a couple more minutes.
- Add sausagemeat. Fry, breaking up the meat until all is white and some lightly browned.
- Add the stock, wine, carrot, tomato and tarragon.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes. The mixture should not be too sloppy but not dry.
- Remove rind from bacon rashers and grill until crisp. Cool and chop into small pieces.
- Boil potatoes until cooked.
- Drain potatoes and crush.
- Add ground mustard, bacon pieces and 1oz of the cheese. Mix well.
- Place sausagemeat mixture in the bottom of an ovenproof dish.
- Spread potato mixture over over the top.
- Cook at 190C/375F/Gas 5 for about 15 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and continue cooking for another 15 minutes until the top is golden brown.