Pasta and Pork
Note: If using tinned tomatoes reduce quantity of stock by half.
- onion, 1, peeled and finely chopped;
- garlic, 1 clove, crushed;
- carrot, 1, peeled and coarsely chopped into small pieces;
- celery stalk, 1, thinly sliced;
- plum tomatoes, 4 large, skinned, de-seeded and chopped OR a tin of chopped plum tomatoes;
- pork sausage meat, 1¾lb;
- aromatic white wine, 1 large glass;
- chicken stock, ½ pint;
- spaghetti, 9 oz;
- smoked paprika, ½ tsp;
- fennel seeds, 1 tsp;
- black pepper, ground, ¼ tsp;
- pecorino cheese, 3oz, grated.
- Fry onion and celery in olive oil until lightly browned.
- Add carrots, garlic, black pepper and fennel seeds. Fry gently for a couple more minutes.
- Add about half of the stock, cook hard stirring continuously until liquid has evaporated.
- Add sausagemeat, increase temperature and break up meat. Continue cooking until all meat is white and some is browned .
- Add tomatoes, wine and stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. The mixture should now be sloppy without being watery.
- Cook pasta in separate pan.
- Drain pasta and add to meat and vegetables with the paprika.
- Cook for a couple of minutes and then add half of the cheese.
- Stir to distribute the cheese.
- Serve with the remaining cheese in a separate dish.