Roasted Parsnip and Apple Soup
A useful recipe for using up surplus roast parsnips after Christmas.
- roasted parsnips (4 large), diced;
- onion (1 small), peeled and finely chopped;
- apples, cooking (4 large), peeled and chopped;
- garlic clove (1), peeled and thinly sliced;
- ½ pint stock, light vegetable or chicken;
- white wine, 1 medium glass;
- sage, fresh, finely chopped (½ tsp);
- ginger, ground (¼ tsp);
- mustard, ground (¼ tsp) ;
- olive oil.
- Fry the onion in the olive oil until golden brown.
- Add the garlic and cook until softened (about 2 minutes).
- Add spices and cook for a further minute.
- Add stock and bring to the boil.
- Add apple and cook until the apple has fallen.
- Add parsnips and cook for a few more minutes.
- Cool slightly then liquidise until smooth.
- Add wine and sage.
- Heat to boiling and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Stir frequently.
- If soup is too thick add more stock or water.
- A dribble of yoghurt can be added before serving.