To accompany: Red Wine
*A mixture of mushroom varieties adds interest to the dish.
- mushrooms* (1lb), cleaned and sliced;
- onion, thinly sliced (2);
- carrot thinly sliced (1);
- garlic clove (1), thinly sliced;
- lentils, puy, 1oz, pre-soaked;
- ginger, finely shredded, 1 tsp.;
- 1½ pint stock**;
- red wine, 1 glass;
- bay leaf;
- black pepper, ground;
**Game stock works very well but if a vegetarian dish is required use either (1) a mushroom stock made from dried mushrooms, or (2) a brown vegetable stock (vegetables are fried prior to the addition of water).
- Fry the mushrooms, remove from pan and keep warm.
- Fry onion slowly until it caramelises.
- Add garlic, black pepper and ginger, fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add wine, stock, carrot, lentils and herbs, heat to boiling point and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Fried croutons can be added to the broth before serving.
- Serve with wholemeal bread.
- To make a more substantial dish, increase the stock by ½ pint and add small dumplings about 15 minutes before serving.