Mulled Red Wine
Note: Try to use unwaxed citrus fruit.
- red wine, 1 bottle
- port, 2 glasses
- orange juice, 1 large glass
- demerera sugar, 3 oz
- orange, (pared rind), 1
- lemon, (pared rind), 1
- cloves, 6
- mace, 2 blades
- cinnamon stick, 1
- peppercorns, 8
- ginger, fresh, small knob
- Tie spices in a muslin square.
- Place orange juice, sugar and spice bag into a large pan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add red wine, port and fruit rinds. Bring slowly to a simmer. Do not allow to boil.
- Remove the spice bag and serve in warmed glasses.
Note: Do not serve the mulled wine too hot - it may crack the glasses.