Lemon Guinea Fowl
- Guinea fowl breasts (4).
- Shallots (6), peeled and halved
- Garlic clove (1), peeled and thinly sliced.
- Celery sticks, (3), cleaned and sliced thinly across the stem.
- Ginger, fresh root (1" piece), peeled and grated.
- White wine, (2 large glasses)
- Chicken stock (¾ pint).
- Crab apple jelly (2tbs).
- Lemon (½), grated rind.
- Lemon (½), juice
- Thyme, (1tsp), fresh, chopped, (½tsp if dried).
- Parsley, (4 tbs) fresh, chopped.
- Bay leaf, 1.
- Mustard seed, yellow, freshly ground.
- Flour, brown
- Olive oil
Serve with leaf salad.
- Using an ovenproof dish, fry guinea fowl breasts in the oil until sealed and lightly browned.
Place on one side to keep warm.
- Fry shallots and celery until softened, Do not allow to brown. Add garlic and ginger
and cook for a few more moments.
- Add flour and mustard, cook, then slowly add stock and wine to create a sauce.
- Add lemon rind and juice, bay leaf, thyme and crab apple jelly.
Stir well and cook gently for a few moments.
- Replace guinea fowl breasts. Cover and place in a pre-heated oven (Mark 3/325ºF/160ºC)
for about 40-45 minutes. Check after 30 minutes to ensure that there is sufficient liquid.
Add more stock if necessary.
- Once cooked if sauce is too thin, remove guinea fowl breasts (keep warm) and place
dish back on the hob to thicken the sauce.
- Place guinea fowl breasts on plate(s), pour sauce over and decorate
with chopped fresh parsley.