To accompany: Madeleine Angevine, Sauvignon Blanc, Schonburger or Seyval
Cod, ling, haddock or any mixture of firm, white fish can be used.
Note: If using dried herbs, add with the fish stock rather than at the end of the cooking.
- fish fillets, cut into chunks, 1-1˝lb
- onion (1), peeled and chopped
- celery stalks (2), cut into chunks
- carrot (1), peeled and diced
- leek (1), washed and cut into 1" lengths
- potatoes (2), peeled and diced
- potatoes (2), peeled and left whole
- peas, 3tbs (fresh or frozen)
- ˝ pint milk
- 1 pint fish stock (or water)
- oregano, fresh, chopped - 1 handful
- basil, fresh, 8 leaves
- butter or oil for frying
- white pepper, ground
Serve with crusty bread.
- Fry onion and celery gently in the butter. Do not allow to brown.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Pour in fish stock, whole potatoes and bring to boiling point, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes, carrot and leek.
- Continue simmering for 15 minutes.
- Remove whole potatoes and mash.
- Add fish chunks, milk, peas and oregano.
- Cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add mashed potato and incorporate gently.
- Tear basil leaves into pieces and add to the chowder.
- Check that the fish is cooked and serve the chowder in soup bowls.