- onion, 1, peeled and diced;
- carrot, 1, peeled and diced;
- celery stalks, 2, diced;
- potato, 1, peeled and diced;
- turnip, 1 small, peeled and diced;
- leek, 1 medium, sliced into thin rings;
- french beans, 6, cut into 1" lengths;
- tomato, 1 large, skinned, de-seeded and chopped;
- fish, white, 2lb;
- white wine, 1 large glass;
- water, 3 pints
- spaghetti, 4 oz broken into 1" (approx.) lengths.
- yellow mustard, ground
- bay leaf, 1
- Fry onion and celery gently in light olive oil. Do not brown.
- Add mustard to taste and stir.
- Pour in 2 pints of water, add carrot, potato, turnip and bay leaf and bring to the boil.
- Simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Add beans, leeks, tomato and wine, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add spaghetti and turn down to low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Bring 1 pint of water to boil, add fish and poach for 10 minutes.
- Remove fish retaining stock.
- Sieve fish stock and add to vegetables.
- Check broth for 'thickness'. Add water if a thinner broth is preferred.
- Break fish up into mouth-sized pieces removing bones.
- Add fish pieces to broth and gently simmer for a few minutes.
- Check that spaghetti is cooked and serve.
- Accompany with crusty bread, oat breads are good.