Drunken Partridge(Serves 4)
- 4 partridges, gutted and cleaned
- 1 bottle red wine
- ½ pint chicken stock
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- 8 juniper berries
- 15 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 springs thyme
- butter or oil
Serve with celeriac mash, leeks and red cabbage.
- Brown onion in large casserole dish.
- Add carrot, celery, continue cooking for a couple of minutes.
- Add wine, chicken stock and herbs and spices.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for at least ¾ hour.
- Smear partridges with butter or oil.
- Roast in oven until golden but approximately 15 minutes from done (Mark 6/400º°F/200º°C for about 30 minutes).
- Place partridge in wine stock and transfer casserole to the oven for 30 minutes (Mark 5/375º°F/190º°C)
- Remove partridge and keep warm.
- Sieve cooking liquor, thicken with brown flour. Serve separately in a gravy boat or with the partridges.