- Cumberland sausage, link weighing about 2lb;
- dry white wine, 1 large glass;
- water, ½ pint;
- Curl the sausage (like a Catherine wheel) so that it will fit into the frying pan.
- Fix skewers across the sausage so that it can be turned in one piece.
- Place in frying pan and prick sausage so that fat can escape.
- Add water and bring to the boil.
- Simmer until fat has oozed from sausage and water has evaporated. This will take about 15 minutes.
- Turn sausage over.
- Add wine and turn heat down to minimum.
- Continue cooking for about 30 minutes turning sausage occasionally until cooked and browned.
- Place on a large serving plate and remove skewers.
- Serve with mashed celeriac or potatoes, roasted beetroot and green vegetables.