Cod with Tomatoes
To accompany: Ffynnon Las Dry (Madeleine Angevine and Reichensteiner blend)
Haddock or ling can be substituted for cod.
*Tinned tomatoes can be substituted but should not include the accompanying tomato juice.
- cod fillet, 1½-2lb
- red onion (1), finely sliced
- carrot, (2), finely sliced
- yellow pepper (1), sliced into rings
- tomatoes* (1lb), fresh, skinned and halved
- ½ pint fish or vegetable stock, or water
- bay leaf
- oregano, fresh, 1tsps or dried, ½tsp (flat)
- butter or oil
- black pepper, ground
Serve with braised potatoes and green vegetables.
- Place cod fillet(s) lengthways in a casserole dish.
- Fry onion.
- Add black pepper to taste.
- Pour in fish stock, add carrots and herbs.
- Bring to boiling point, simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add yellow pepper, simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour over the fillets, add the tomatoes and cook, uncovered, in a hot oven (Mark6/200°C/400°F) until done (approximately 15 minutes).