Chicken & Tomato Casserole with Potato-Cabbage Slice
To accompany: Regner
Chicken & Tomato Casserole:
- chicken joints, 4-8, depending on size and butchery style
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 3 celery stalks, cut to matchstick size
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut to matchstick size
- 1lb tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or tinned whole tomatoes)
- green beans, finely sliced
- black pepper, ground
- marjoram, chopped
- Brown chicken joints in olive oil in casserole dish.
- Remove chicken and fry onion until golden brown.
- Add celery, carrots .
- Fry gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Replace chicken joints; add chopped tomatoes, marjoram and black pepper.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Cook in a moderate oven (Mark4/350°F/180°C) for about 1¼ hour.
- Add the green beans. Continue cooking in moderate oven for about ¼ hour until the chicken is cooked. The tomato sauce should be thick not watery.
- Blanch potato slices and shredded cabbage separately.
- Layer potato and cabbage ending with a layer of potatoes.
- Press vegetables flat.
- Sprinkle with ground mustard seed and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place in moderate oven until cooked and golden.