Chicken in Ginger and Orange Sauce
To accompany: Ortega
- 4-6 chicken joints, depending on size and butchery style.
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped.
- ½ pint chicken stock
- 1 orange, juice and zest.
- fresh ginger, peeled (about 1")
- 1 tsp chopped thyme.
- brown flour.
- Brown chicken joints in olive oil in casserole dish.
- Remove chicken and fry chopped onion until golden brown.
- Add finely chopped fresh ginger and crushed garlic; ground white pepper.
- Fry gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Replace chicken joints; add chicken stock, thyme, orange juice and orange zest.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Cook in a moderate oven until chicken is done.
- Thicken cooking liquor with brown flour.
- Cook for another 5-10 minutes in a moderate oven.
Serve with mashed carrot and swede, and green leafy vegetables (Savoy cabbage, chard, kale or similar).