Braised Ruby Chard
- 675g/1½lbs ruby chard
- 2 red onions, large
- 1 sharp cooking apple
- 25g/1oz butter (or oil)
- 1 glass red wine
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp red currant jelly
- ½ pint vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves, ground
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- ground black pepper
- Wash the chard thoroughly.
- Peel and thinly slice the onions.
- Heat the butter in an ovenproof dish and fry the onions gently. Dish must be large enough to take the shredded leaf.
- Cut the leaf part of the chard from the stem and put to one side. Cut the chard stems (across) into ½" strips.
- Add to the onion and continue frying gently until slightly softened. Stir frequently.
- Add spices, fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Peel and core the apple. Slice thinly, add to the vegetables.
- Add wine, wine vinegar, jelly, stock and bay leaf. Bring liquid to boiling point.
- Transfer the covered dish to a preheated oven (Mark 2/150°C/300°F) for approximately 1½ hours.
- Shred the chard leaves.
- Place the dish back on the hob (gentle heat) and add the chard leaves. Stir to coat the leaf with the sauce. Add more liquid if necessary.
- Once the liquid is bubbling gently, cover and return to the oven for another hour.
Note: Keep an eye on the liquid level of the dish during cooking to ensure that it doesn't dry out. Add more liquid if necessary but don't swamp it - the vegetables should not be watery at the end of cooking.
Serve with roasted game.