Carrot and Fennel Soup
- carrots (4 large), peeled and diced;
- shallots (4), peeled and thinly sliced;
- fennel bulb (2 medium), trimmed and thinly sliced;
- garlic clove (1), peeled and thinly sliced;
- 1 pint stock, light vegetable;
- white wine, 1 medium glass;
- bay leaf (1);
- orange rind, finely grated (1 tbs);
- chilli flakes, to taste;
- olive oil.
- Cook the carrots in the vegetable stock for about 20 minutes with the bay leaf and orange rind. Add water if the stock does not cover the carrots.
- Remove and retain the bay leaf. Liquidise the carrots and stock.
- Fry the shallots,fennel and garlic gently in the olive oil. Do not allow to colour.
- Add the liquidised carrots, wine, bay leaf and chilli flakes.
- Heat to boiling point and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Stir frequently.
- If soup is too thick, thin with more vegetable stock.
- A swirl of cream can be added before serving.