Braised Red Cabbage
- 900g/2lbs red cabbage
- 2 red onions, large
- 2 sharp cooking apples
- 2 carrots
- 1 celery stalk
- 3 rashers streaky bacon
- 25g/1oz butter (or oil)
- 1 glass red wine
- 1 glass orange juice
- ¼ pint vegetable stock
- 1½ tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tbs red currant jelly
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch of dried tarragon
- 2 cloves, ground
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- ground black pepper
- Separate the cabbage leaves, remove tough midribs, wash and shred.
- Peel and thinly slice the onions.
- Derind the bacon and cut into small pieces.
- Peel the carrots and slice.
- Wash, trim celery stalk and cut into matchstick-size pieces.
- Heat the butter in an ovenproof dish and fry the onions and bacon gently. Dish must be large enough to take the shredded cabbage.
- Add the celery when the bacon begins to colour and continue frying gently until slightly softened. Stir frequently.
- Add spices, fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cabbage, stir.
- Peel and core the apples. Slice thinly, add to the vegetables.
- Add wine, wine vinegar, jelly, orange juice, stock, tarragon and bay leaf. Bring liquid to boiling point.
- Transfer the covered dish to a preheated oven (Mark 2/150°C/300°F) for approximately 3 hours.
Note: Keep an eye on the liquid level of the dish during cooking to ensure that it doesn't dry out. Add more liquid if necessary but don't swamp it - the vegetables should not be watery at the end of cooking.
Serve with roasted game.